I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday - The Day of Rest

Something I forgot to tell you about yesterday is that Gabriel's wife sent me a sheep.  I asked him why she did that, knowing how difficult it is to make ends meet.  He got so mad at me.  He said "why do you ask this?  Why can you not just accept a gift"  Ooops.  Okay, I get it.

Last night when I was getting ready for bed, something stung/bit me on my left upper leg just below my butt cheek.  It was red and burning.  Is still sore today.  I took some benadryl and it still took me awhile to get to sleep.  So I ended up oversleeping for church.  I got up, ran around getting ready and headed off to church.  I go there late and there was quite a stir when I walked in.  All the kids were saying kawaja, kawaja, which means white person.  They were so loud that a man had to come by me and yell at the kids.  No one could hear the priest.  There was a prayer and then the closing hymn.  Oh well, better late than never.  Some of the secondary school teachers came here this afternoon and they have bee stings.  So I gave them some benadryl and I told them to be careful, it might make them tired.  I said that I overslept for church and came in late.  Two of the guys said "yes, we noticed.  You really created an uproar".  Oh my goodness.  I was cracking up.

So I told you about the sheep.  We had meat for lunch and dinner.  It was pretty good, as good as mutton can be.  It is good to get protein.  Remember that I sent Simon and Abraham to Bor to get medical supplies?  Around 1:30 pm Simon came walking up, all full of mud.  He came to get tools and people because the tractor that was bringing him back with food got stuck.  So off they went, all but Maker who was seeing some patients.  I sat with the teachers and we really had a good time.  One is Kenyan and the rest are Sudanese.  They, like us, are having a problem with bees.  So they decided to spend the afternoon here since they could not stay around their place due to the bees.  Then around 3pm Mawiel shows up and get a big chain.  Whoa, this is not good.  Off he goes.

At about 6:00 I hear an engine.  I go out on the road but do not see anything.  Then finally, about a half hour later I see the tractor emerge from the grass down the road.  Finally they are here.  They are all covered with mud and the tractor wheels are mud caked all around.  There is a trailer attached to the tractor and it is full of sacks of food.  They are all labeled USAID and WFP (World Food Program).  They all have American flags on them and it says "From the American people".  Ha, I looked at the driver and said "from me to you"  he started laughing.  We really have had very little food so this is a welcome gift.  Simon said they just gave it to us.  Now we have bags and bags of sorgum and yellow split peas.  Woowoo.  Then I said to Simon "where are the medical supplies?"  We don't have any.  I am not sure I will be able to make it to Bor.  Abraham is not here yet,  maybe he will have med supplies.

One of the Bor County councilman, who represents Werkok, stopped by.  His name is John Atany.  We are going to have a meeting tomorrow with the Chiefs of the area.  Mr. Atany and I were able to have a nice conversation about things.  His thing is agriculture.  Hmmmm, do wonder what he has been doing.  And then before he left, he said he may bring his Mother here to see me.  She is very old and has pain.  Of course I smiled and said I would be honored to see here.  I hope she is not on her last leg and I have to tell him that.  We will see what tomorrow brings.

Not only are the teachers having difficulty with bees, so are we.  I have not been able to finish my inventory because of them.  I have not been able to get into the white pharmacy container because of them.  And now, it has been reported to me that there are bees in the ward.  If anyone has an idea about how to get rid of them, please let us know.  I am not interested in pesticides, I think they just leave then come back.  In the reading I have done, it says to move the nest.  Yeah, right.  I am looking for any help here.

I hope everyone is well and that there has not been too much crazy weather.  Please remember to keep all of us in Werkok in your prayers.

PS - my leg, butt cheek is killing me.  Oh, and we had a snake in our dining hall.  The mama was going crazy.  It was little.  I am concerned where the mom snake is.


.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see your there and well...sorta Hope your "butt check" feels better. Maybe a warm compress would help. Sorry I didn't get to say 'bye". I'll follow you and see you when you return. PLG. love, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH poor baby...sorry your butt hurts! I am missing you. I have this bright red car sitting in my driveway that I see all the time that makes me think of you and say a prayer. By the by...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! When you come home we will have to designate a suitable time and locale to celebrate your 40th! (HA) Take care, be safe and come home soon. PS...money is out of my account so it should be in yours. Love you...mean it!

    ReplyDelete