I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Another Week

Time is passing too fast.  I am in a tizzy trying to make lists, see things that need to be done, organize some of the hospital things, etc.  Yes, I do like 5-6 weeks better than three.  Church this morning.  The priest was not there, some big gathering west of here.  Afterwards I checked on patients.  All are okay.  Our poor Mama is just not   bouncing back and we are out of med.  I did don the space suit and went into the white container to see if there was any metrondizole tucked away somewhere.  No luck and no stings.

Gabriel came by.  We talked about his education.  I went on line looking for places and costs.  He has his list and now must travel to places to see where it is best for him to go.  We then walked to town, visited with many.  I took tons of kids pictures.  It was so fun to see them.  They are really not any different from kids anywhere.  And they are so beautiful, even with their dirty faces.  One boy was making mud cattle.  Even as young kids understand the wealth is noted by the number of cattle you have.  That is your importance.  I will add pictures later that I took of these little mud figures.  They were really cute.

Our guard is back.  He has been here for several years. When I arrived this year, there were no guards.  Now he is back.  Apparently he had to go to Juba for work.  He is military.  A nice guy and he was so surprised to see me.  I always felt safe knowing he was walking around at night, especially when I would sleep outside.  None of that this trip, due to rain.  And it is cooler.  I think the temps have been in the 90's during the day but down to the 70's at night.  Good sleeping.

Short report tonight.  Life is good.  Back at the grind tomorrow, seeing patients and trying to get meds here.  We have the money, just not the means to get them.  I am sure we will get things this week.  At least I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment