I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Green Green Grass of Home

Finally made it to Werkok.  It was a long day with lots of African hurry up and wait.We had to go to Juba to have our passports stamped.  How crazy is that.  We made it to Werkok around 3 pm.  It is so different here with the green grass!!  The roads are impassable and flying up from Juba I could see the road the entire way.  I only saw 8 or 10 vehicles the entire way from Juba to Bor.  The roads are very bad.

It has been so good to see everyone.  I just can't get over how different everything looks with all the grass and all the green.  We walked to the town and I could not recognize things.  Instead of brown open space, everything has 5 foot green grass.  There are small paths to the tukels and you can not see them from the road. 

I am with a group from Tenwek and from World Gospel Mission.  They are looking at the compound and maybe there will be a future with them.  That would be nice.  We need help here and they have shown some interest.  Two of the people in the group, Carolyn and Francis, will be going to Tonj for 4 weeks to set up a lab.  I know the couple who started the clinic there and am glad to hear they are doing well and that their clinic is growing.   They are all leaving tomorrow and I will be the only kawaja here.  That is ok.  I would like to go to Bor to see Gabriel and his family, but I do not think the roads are open.  I hope they will be open when it is time for me to leave.

I am going to sign off now.  I am tired, everyone is. It is nice to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment