I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Friday, November 4, 2011

And We Are Off

Now that I am over the amazement of the green tall grass, I can get to some real stuff.  I have already used my pink rain boots to go to the airstrip to see WGM staff off.  I want to see Mr. Snake just try to penetrate my pink super boots!!  I am now here alone with the Sudanese.  Clinic this morning was interesting and, of course, my favorite thing.  There are three inpatients with malaria and one little one with diarrhea and vomiting.  The Mom of this little one has many problems.  From what I can tell, she has an extreme case of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Suddenly at the age of 14 she started having severe joint pain and swelling. It is very sad.  She walks on her knees because they no longer straighten.  Her toe joints are swollen and crooked as well as her fingers.  Her left elbow is deformed and she is unable to straighten it.  She has never been to a doctor for it.  She walks on her knees with some flip flops under them.  She has a little cart that she pedals with here hands.  It is incredible.  And she has two children.  I am sure she is not married to the father, I think she has no say in this world due to being "crippled".  It allows people to use and abuse her.  I found her to be so pleasant and so humble - just caring and loving her two children.  I am determined to find something to put on her knees to make it easier for her to get around.  I thought of a small cart (think Eddie Murphy in Trading Places) but the ground is way to bumpy and now with the rains, would be impossible to maneuver.  Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

The staff that is here seems very adequate.  Dr. Ajak is no longer here but did come by yesterday evening after hearing that I was here.  It was good to see him.  I think the people in the community really miss him.  John Maker is the clinical officer and Abraham is the nurse.  They seem to work well together.  Rachel is still here and she registers the patients and collects the money.  John Garang still works in the pharmacy.  Simon is the lab tech.  He came here when I was here in February.   Deng is the new site administrator.  He has been here for a few months.  I am sure it is a big adjustment since he spent so many years as a "Lost Boy" in the States.  He has a masters in Public Health Administration.  He seems to get along well with everyone and is doing a good job getting things organized.

I will be back later, reporting as my day unfolds.
Here I am. It was brought to my attention that we are completely out of pediatric IV's and syringes.  I sent Abraham and Simon to Bor town to get some. They have to walk the 9 kilometers to another road that is passable.  They can not get too much stuff that would be heavy to carry.  The path to the main road is difficult, full of ruts and mud.  I do worry about getting out.  Will worry more next week. 

This evening Deng and I were listening to the BBC and I looked back at the garden and it was full of goats.  I grabbed a broom to shoo them away.  They were eating our lettuce.  Deng jumped up to help.  So here were two "Americans" who live in towns (Deng from Grand Rapids) trying to heard goats.  We did not do very well.  It really was funny.  Then we were looking at the banana tree.  There is a huge branch full of them.  I asked Deng if he thought we should cut the branch down, if they looked ripe enough (Hey Mister tally man, tally me banana) and he looked at me and said "I don't know, I am from the north, no bananas in GR".  Well he has a point.  I was crackin' up.

The weather is warm - of course, but the main difference is that it is humid.  Makes a big difference.  The mosquitoes are pretty heavy.  I guess I should get on something.  Will do that tomorrow.  Deep Woods Off is my best friend.  Am glad I remembered to bring it.

This is all for now.  Will be back tomorrow.

1 comment: