I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday - (I know it's Saturday)

I was too tired and lazy last night to write.  The day was actually low keyed.  Checked patients.  After insisting on stool sample (sorry) it turns out our Old Mama has giardia.  Boy can I sympathize with her.  Appropriate meds started, fluids continuing.  We also received a young girl (maybe 14) who has a bad case of malaria.  Started meds.  Will keep her for several days to make sure she recovers okay.  Clinic not too busy.

I finally got into the container.  It is a grueling job but had to be done.  I did inventory, cleaned, combined, threw out.  I put things in the clinic, pharmacy and operating theater that could be used now.  I think the operating theater is now ready to service patients.  It will be great if doctors from Tenwek come to do surgeries.  A real boost to the community.  I even held my temper when I came across boxes of dialysis equipment and venous graft kits.  Better living by chemicals, I say.

My time here is winding down.  I have a few chores to do over the weekend, but I think my list is mostly checked off.  It has been a whirlwind of activity.  Still have to figure out how to get IV catheters.  We are down to two.

I made plans to leave.  I will go to Bor on Tuesday. Yes, another trek through the bush, this time with my suitcase. If everything goes as planned, Dr. Deng and Ajak will meet me at the junction with a vehicle. Or maybe bota bota again. I will purchase a ticket from Bor to Juba.  On Wednesday I leave.  I fly from Juba to Nairobi in the afternoon.  I will stay with Joy Phillips.  The two of us will go to Tenwek Hospital on Thursday and Friday.  I am hoping to talk to some of the doctors about doing some work here at MCH.  That is my goal.  And Joy said we even have a party to go to on Thursday night.  We will return to Nairobi on Friday.  I fly out on Saturday night.

The bees have decided to move.  They are on the corner of the northwest corner of the hospital!  In one day their hive is huge!  I am just not sure what to do about them.  We may end up having to close the hospital for about 4 days, get them removed and then clean the area.  This is just terrible.  People are getting stung.  I am still waiting for some suggestions.

Saying Bye to the teachers
Deng and I walked to the teacher's compound in the evening.  They live in containers that have been converted.  They are really nice.  I took some pics.  They just finished up exams today.  They will all leave tomorrow.  I have enjoyed them.  They are mostly Sudanese and then a couple of Kenyans.  They have a two month vacation and then they return for the next term.  They have three terms per year.  I know Deng will miss their company.

It was dusk when we started back.  The path is small and I stayed close to Deng, not being able to see in that kind of light very well.  We crossed through the school ground, looking at the new buildings.  They are very nice and will service the student very well.  The path narrowed and we were into the tall grass, winding our way through the village, going through peoples "yards" greeting them while they were making their dinners.  There was a gentle breeze that made the grass sway ever so slightly and kept us cool.  To the east, I could see a glow on the horizon.  I pointed it out to Deng.  He said maybe a fire.  In the next few minutes we were treated to one of God's glorious wonders - a red glowing full moon was rising out of the grasses in the distance.  There were a few clouds that reflected the light.  We both stopped, watching in awe at this magnificent sight.  To the west, the sun had fallen below the horizon but the dusk was still evident.  How beautiful the land is!  These moments are part of why I keep returning.  This simple yet complex world of South Sudan.

1 comment: