I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Back at Mayfield Guest House

George picked me up from the airport.  I made it through customs without any problem.  Unfortunatly my suitcase was 53 lbs.  I had to pay $75.  Gosh they get you any way they can.  Flights were fine.  Upgraded both, finally I was able to use some of my 100,000 plus miles for something.  KLM has a nice business class.  So I was able to keep my feet up and sleep most of the Amsterdam-Nairobi leg.

Tomorrow I will do some errands.  I hope to have everything done in the morning and that gives me the afternoon to sit in the garden and read.  I have reports to read that Deng, the site administrator at Memorial Christian Hospital, has worked on.  It will give a nice overview of what has been going on the past few months.  It is helpful to know the type of patients that have been seen and what their complaints/disease process is.  I think I will be doing a lot of administrative stuff, but am sure I will get my hands dirty in clinic each day.  I look forward to arriving in Werkok.  Am still trying to figure out how to get out.  Will work on that tomorrow.  Sleep tight, all.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had good flights to Nairobi. The beetle caused quite the stir on the way home. Some guy in a parking lot stopped and told me that he thought VW had "finally gotten it right" in the beetle design. Too much fun. Have fun and can't wait to see you when you get back. Love you...mean it.

    ReplyDelete