I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Busy Monday

Up and at 'em.  Good night sleep with it being somewhat cool.  Great dreams.  Oh wait, I am living my dream.  The Chief of the village came to see me this morning.  He said the area is being infested with East Coast Fever.  Whoa.  He asked if I could help.  I said I would see what I could do.  He also said he would see me this evening at the "council meeting".  I guess that is what it is.

So off to my computer to learn everything possible about east coast fever.  Here goes, it is transmitted by ticks that carry a parasite.  Usually it takes 48 to 72 hours to be transmitted, but not in the heat.  It can become deadly in 4 to 12 hours.  No cure, but there is a vaccination.  It costs too much - $35 per injection.  So sad, cattle is their wealth.

I started to clean up the operating theater.  It really is a mess.  I worked hard and it was hot hot hot.  I am not done, but will finish in the morning and then Naomi and Roda will bleach all the surfaces.  I am hoping that it will stay organized and clean so that if the docs from Tenwek Hospital in Kenya come, they won't be mortified.  I could not open the door to the OR because of the bees.  Yes, they are in the hospital also.  If anyone has any ideas, please send them to me.  I can't get into two containers to do inventory and organize because the bees have taken over.

Around 4:30, Deng and I walked to the village.  We met the Chief.  He chose the place we were to sit.  Then all the other chiefs and all the VIP's of Werkok, including the County Councilman, gathered.  The Chief started.  There were a lot of questions about the hospital and about Dr. Ajak, who has given his resignation.  Then there were questions about the cost of meds and the cost of exams.  Then I gave my presentation on what I found out about east coast fever.  I told them I have contacted a couple of organizations to see if they could offer some help.  I hope to hear back from them.  They all spoke well of the Hospital and being part of the community.  That makes me happy.  There are a few future projects that should help things along.

Simon showed back up with the tractor and more food.  USAID gave it to us so we can feed the patients.  That is a great idea.  Some travel very far and have no food with them.  I think this will work well.  Yeah, Simon!

I still want to go to Bor Town.  No rain today. If there is no rain tomorrow, then I think I will go on Wednesday.  I think I will have to go on a motorbike, though.  If only a tractor could get through, then I know the land cruiser won't make it.  I would like to contact Handicap International about that lady with the rheumatoid arthritis.  I think they will be able to help her.  Also, I want to see Gabriel and his family.

Well, I am up to my ears in projects.  I wish I could stay longer!  Off to bed, big day tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.
PS - My butt cheek is a little better.  Not as red and no longer burning, just sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment