I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Big Fat Hump Day

Got up and got ready to go to Bor.  Motor cycles never arrived.  Maker called us around 10:00 and said he could not find anyone who would come out here.  I spent the day writing reports, checking the hospital, trying to do homework and attempting a quiz.  Am sure it was operator error, but it did not work.

I am amazed by all the birds, lizards, dragonflies, spiders, scorpions, bees, bats that are just hanging around the place.  Really amazing.  And really beautiful - well most of it - Catherine 1, Mr. Scorpion 0.  I am not nearly as timid in the grass as I was when I came.  What a difference a week makes.  I even walked through the bees to get some supplies. Amazing the things you do when you have to.

This evening, a family brought in an old mama.  She was barely alive, hypovolemic shock.  Cool extremities, well I won't go into all the details.  But basically vomiting and diarrhea for 13 hours.  She is old and I am not sure she will last the night.  The other thing is we have only 4 IV's left.  So back to the bees, I had to get more IV fluids from the container, yes the very one that is full of bees.  I did the zen thing, put a pillowcase on my head and was one with the bees while I grabbed, gently, the needed supplies.  Pretty scary stuff.

We sat with the mama for awhile.  Made sure she was somewhat stable and made our way back to the dining hall to eat dinner before going back.  No sooner did we get there than another patient was brought in.  A little girl with nausea and diarrhea.  We did not start an IV, but I did give her meds to stop vomiting which also put her to sleep.  I am having her mom give her sips of rehydration salts.  We will see how long she can keep things down. Sat with her for awhile then got everyone tucked into their beds with mosquito nets. Headed back to the dining hall.  None of us ate much.  It is late.  One more trip to the hospital to check on the patients, shower, and hit the hay.

We will walk to the main road tomorrow early and then catch a mutatu into Bor.  We need IV's, syringes and some other supplies.  I hope no more patients come tonight.  We are here for them but it is frustrating to always have to make due.  I guess that is life in the bush.






No comments:

Post a Comment