I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bota Bota Bor

Deng leading the way
Got up and got ready to go to Bor.  It was sprinkling.  First checked the patients and was happy to see that they were better.  The old mama was able to talk and had not vomited all night.  The little girl was also sitting up and drinking rehydration salts. I left instructions and then Deng and I started walking to the junction.

It is still wet
I had a backpack and I had on my gum boots.  The first half hour path was small with 6' grass on either side, but then it widened.  The road was hardly a road and I could not imagine driving a vehicle through it.  At the Chief and Elders meeting on Monday, there was much discussion about getting this grated so it will be passable.  It was a nice morning, cloud cover and a pleasant temperature.  Most of the walk was really nice but certainly all terrain.  We did come across some cattle carcasses and saw one laying down but could not get up.  This east coast fever is really having an effect.

We made it to Palabach in about an hour and a half.  This is the junction to the main road.  We walked a short way when a bota bota came by.  This is a motorcycle taxi.  We both got on and the three of us headed to Bor Town.  It was a crazy ride.  The road is just awful and I found I closed my eyes a good portion of the time.  I would make a terrible motocross competitor.  At one point, by a cattle camp, we got stuck in the middle of a huge herd of cattle and they had really bit horns.  I had visions of  being skewered onto a horn.  I admit I was letting out little screams.  One big old steer kicked me in the leg as we drove by! And Deng kicked the cattle back.  All I kept thinking was "you can't make this s#*t up".  It was so totally crazy.  We went through deep mud holes, through grass, around goats and cattle.  But finally, just before noon we arrived in Bor.

Ajak, me, and Makach - together again
Paul, Dr. Deng, me, Gabriel, and Ateny
We met up with Gabriel and went to the bank.  Took care of some banking for his schooling and then went to do errands and see people.  I saw James and Paul, met up with Dr. Ajak, went to the Dr.'s compound at Bor Hospital.  There I saw Dr. Samuel.  He is now the Director of the hospital.  He has his work cut out for him.  I saw many people I have met at the hospital over the past few years.  It was nice to see them again.  I ran into Peter Kuchcon (we call him Quickcorn).  It was so good to see dear sweet Peter.  He has been in Bor because his brother died.  He will be back in Werkok tonight.  I am glad for that.  I have missed him and going to North Compound.  Ajak and I went to check on flights that leave Bor for Juba.  The place was closed.  We ran into Dr. Moses and grabbed a quick bite to eat. Then it was time to get back to meet Deng and Gabriel.  We were hoping to get IV catheters.  We are down to 2 or 3.  Bor hospital is out of them also.  We bought a few in the market.  They were very expensive. This is just terrible, especially with the issue of vomiting and diarrhea that is going on.  Then Dr. Deng showed up.  He is great.  So good to see my old friend.  He was the first doctor I met here.  He looks great and seems to be doing well.  Work is busy for him.  He is the director of Sudan Medical Clinic.  He oversees about 12 clinics located all over South Sudan.  Then we all started walking (with a huge box of medicines) to look for transportation back to Werkok.  We kept running into people I know.  It was really fun and I was able to get some pictures.

So we made arrangements to get back.  We again got bota bota to take us back.  Oh my goodness.  This was a really crazy trip.  Deng was on the motorcycle with the med box and I was on another one with our backpacks.  I must be out of my mind doing some of this stuff.  Again we went through cattle.  It was just as scary but I did not get kicked.  We ended up taking the bota bota all the way to Werkok so we did not have to walk with the medicine box.  It was so crazy going through the bush.  Yikes.  As I said, I must be out of my mind.  My muscles are so sore from being clenched.  I was very happy when I could see the water tower at the compound. 

The teachers from the secondary school were here.  They laughed so hard at my stories.  I let Maweil, Simon and John Garang know that I saw Peter, Mabil, James, Dr. Deng and Dr. Ajak and they all say hello to them.  And I told them that Peter will be here tonight.  Tomorrow I will go over to the school and take some pictures and see the students.  I made the arrangements with the teachers.  I now need to eat some din, shower and hit the bed.  I am sunburned and I am tired.  It is hard work being in a constant state of being scared s#*/less.  Night night.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Catherine! You are a very brave woman to go in the rainy season. I love hearing about Peter and Dr. Ajak. Your stories are great. I pray for you.

    ReplyDelete