I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Day In The Life

Up and moving to rain.  Only a small amount.  I finished the operating theater.  It is nice, if I must say so myself.  Saw several patients.  Did one small I&D to a little ones thigh.  Oh, I felt so bad.  She screamed.  Mom fainted.  I left her on the floor.  It really was an easy one and the toddler was more mad at being held down.  On antibiotics, cleaned up and out the door.  Saw a woman with a mass to her right mid-abdomen.  No weight loss. I could move it around, and gave her a little pain.  Off I sent her for an ultrasound.  We hopefully have a team of surgeons coming in the near future.  And the bees keep buzzing.

Spoke with guy who is working on east coast fever meds.  He called here, in response to the emails I sent out. He was sorry he did not know I was coming over, he would have sent some of the stuff with me to try out on the cattle.  It is in clinical trials, but the only option we have here is to let them die.  It's better to do something. Someone is going to bring a few vials of the vaccine, but it won't be for about three weeks.

Had a great dinner.  Mary made a fresh pumpkin/peanut dish.  And we had rice with spinach in it.  Or it looked like spinach.  So nice to have some greens and it was from our garden.  I wish the bananas were ripe.  Another few weeks, I think.  They are all over.  I don't know why they don't grow them.  You don't do anything but plant them.  Ahhhh, so many easy things people could do to make a tough life just a bit easier.

Just after dinner, someone came and said there was a patient.  Abraham went over to see.  He came back to the dining hall and said that the baby is not alive.  I ran over there, along with Deng and John Garang, and yes, she had passed away.  She looked about 2 years old.  Her Mom brought her to the clinic this AM, she had a cough and low fever.  We gave antibiotics and paracetamol - a fever reducer.  Mom said this afternoon, evening she started vomiting, then started seizing. and it sounds like it was for awhile.  It does not sound like she was alive when they arrived here.  So very sad.  Abraham feels just awful, he is the one who saw her.  She was walking around and has a healthy history.  I do feel we should get some cipro and give a dose to the family - meningitis is common here.  Deng and I are planning to trek to Bor tomorrow and we will get some.  Gosh what a shame.  I feel just terrible. That poor mom.  There is really not much else to say.....

No comments:

Post a Comment