I come from a long line of wanderers so it is not strange that I go to South Sudan - Now called The Republic of South Sudan - to work at Memorial Christian Hospital. I have been doing this since 2008. The hospital is located in the bush near the village of Werkok. It is northeast of Bor, if you look on a map. People walk, sometimes for days, to get medical care. Dr. Ajak is the Dr. Boss-man. He arrived a week after I did in 2008 and has graciously stayed, keeping the place open and allowing me to continue to visit and work.

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound

Memorial Christian Hospital & Compound
I will be returning to South Sudan next month, October, 2011. I am very excited to be on my way back to the land I so love. I miss the people and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of my colleagues and friends. And, as I said in the past, I come from a long line of wanderers and the call to get back wandering is very strong!

I have recently added pictures to my blog. Please go to the beginning of the blog and read forward to see the work that is being done. This puts faces on all the people I have written about. Learn about Gabriel and his family, Dr. Ajak's work and all the Mamas. I will begin writing again as I prepare to go next month. I hope you join me on this adventure.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Last Day Blues

He was so happy with me!
Today is my last full day in Werkok.  I am so sad.  Up and checking on patients.  Mama a little better.  Deng and I went to Werkok this morning to meet again with the Chief and Elders.  We drove the blue land rover.  It is up and running.  Battery charged but the windows won't go down.  A little warm inside. While waiting to get started, I walked around and talked to kids and held a baby who was crying and the Dad seemed perplexed as to what to do.
Snuck this photo during meeting
The meeting was good.  Just talked about the future and a bit about the past and history of the area.  It was great.  Everyone seems to know me. Some guy walks up to me, hand out saying "Casrun, Casrun, you return"  and all sorts of other things.  I said "it is so good to see you again!"  Clueless as to who he is.  Even the kids know my name. 

Whole family to see doc
After returning to the compound, I helped with patients.  More diarrhea people coming in.  It seems to be going around.  The Mama was sitting up in bed.  Her daughter took her out and washed her, I helped with the wheelchair.  She is getting better.  Quickcorn had to go to a meeting in Bor and is bringing back some meds.  I think once she gets these meds in her, she will really turn the corner.  But she was up and talking and that is a huge improvement.  Other patients I saw had problems with vericose veins, malaria, diarrhea, wound recheck, baby with cough, young adult with bloody diarrhea.  And the list goes on.

I finally had a chance to clean up my room and get my things ready.   Ahhh, so many scorpions in my things.  Catherine 4 - Mr Scorpion 0. I hope I don't bring any of them home!
I got him

I don't seem to have too many things to bring back.  One suitcase and then my backpack.  But still, we have about an hour and a half walk to the junction.  Ajak and Dr. Deng will be there waiting for me.  I hope.

Beautiful sky
I am going to miss this place.  Hard to believe my time is over.  It always goes so fast.  The sunset tonight was particulary beautiful.  I sure will miss it.  Every evening is a treat.  I am sure I will have some adventures in Bor Town tomorrow.  Then off to Juba on Wednesday.  I still have a long journey home.  And I get home Thanksgiving week.  I certainly have an awful lot to be thankful for.  Life is so good. 

3 comments: